Next to the Museum of Lagos, the Igreja de Santo António is one of the town´s most remarkable buildings. The building was probably erected during the reign of João V, but was reconstructed after the 1755 earthquake by the commander of Lagos´ Infantry Regiment. The little Igreja de Santo António, bursting with 18th- and 19th-century gilded, carved wood, is a stupendous baroque extravaganza. Beaming cherubs and ripening grapes are much in evidence. The dome and azulejo panels were installed during repairs after the 1755 earthquake
Church Santo Antonio
Fortaleza da Ponta da Bandeira is a little fortress at the southern end of the avenue that was built in the 17th century to protect the port. Restored, it now houses a museum of the Portuguese discoveries. Also known as the Forte do Pau da Bandeira (Fort of the Banner´s Mast) the fort was a defensive construction (18th century) with a moat and a drawbridge. The small strip of sand where it was built witnessed the first slave markets in an age when the Portuguese were engaging in their first maritime adventures, under the guidance of Henry the Navigator. Now, the place is used to celebrate one of the most traditional festivities of Lagos: the Banho 29 (Bath 29). Considered as purifying in ancient times, the local population travelled as it could to bathe in the sea at midnight, on the 29th of August. There is a small museum which is well worth a visit.
Fortess on the Beach